Friday, May 5, 2017

Re: The Fear of Empty Space by Tisha Morris

As I scrolled down through my newsfeed on Facebook, I’ve noticed The Minimalists have shared a blog post from Tisha Morris, titled “The Fear of Empty Space.” I immediately clicked on the link to read the post - my initial thought was “do I have a fear of empty space?” Much of the things I personally find interesting are readings that can help me understand myself and the human nature better. This was one of them.


It was a well thought-out and short post. I love those - always to the point and easy to understand. Morris poses different questions and ideas of why she thinks people have a paradoxical fear and yearn towards emptiness, space, void, etc. One particular line resonated with me the most:


Fear breeds in empty space. It’s where we can hear our thoughts. [It] forces us to look at our life. We have to witness the choices we’ve made. We have to remember the ungrieved past.”


Morris points out that we avoid emptiness because it can invoke our real voices/thoughts - they can make us reminiscence the poor choices that we’ve made in the past or force us to view our decaying present and dim future. This is the kind fear that I’ve felt after I’ve forsaken most of the things/stuff I had in my room. It unearthed a “self” - found a “self” of me that is unkind and toxic to my own self.


For the past week, after I have decluttered my things from my room - it gave me more time and physical space. The one thing I didn’t mind was the physical empty space that decluttering rewarded me with. However, a negative energy surged and enveloped my mind, it felt clouded - like how the weather has been lately (rainy, windy, and cold).  Thoughts of comparing myself to my peers and friends and family creeping into my mind, uncertain future vs my indecisive personality, etc. These were the reasons I did not post last Monday. I think I’ve been experiencing more of an emotional clutter now that I don’t have physical clutter that is distracting me from thinking about it.


“The void is also where creation is born. The same place we find our fears is also the place we find our soul. Follow the fear and you will find your authentic self. This is what we’re truly afraid of. Finding our true self comes with moving out of our comfort zone, changing family beliefs, taking risks, being seen, and vulnerability. The more these words scare you, the deeper your piles of clutter.” - Tisha Morris

Then, do I have a fear of empty space? I don’t believe so. I think of empty spaces as part of aesthetic aspect of life and it can reflect the aspect of a person too. It can go so many ways - I like empty spaces, more so when they are used beautifully. Life can be empty, but it can be full of life. If you get what I mean. Now, the problem is the emotional clutter that I have started noticing. At this moment, I will have to work on letting go of feelings (which does not sound easy). Maybe, as Morris says, I should somehow work on my mind in the arts (to induce creativity).

No comments:

Post a Comment