Saturday, April 22, 2017

2017 Earth Day Entry | Sustainable School/Work Lunch Swaps

Happy Earth Day 2017, everyone!!


To commemorate this day, I would like to show you the sustainable items that I have swapped to~


DSC_1008.JPG


Ladies and gentlemen I here present to you the swaps I have made for school/work lunch. From left to right:


  1. Bamboo/wooden cutlery (please pardon the stained spoon - I have been eating curry very frequently)
  2. Metal straw
  3. Handkerchief/fabric/cloth napkins
  4. Stainless steel insulated mug/bottle (Zojirushi flip top cap bottle and S’well water bottle)
  5. One of my many glass tupperware/lunch box


These are the things I bring to work for lunch. Though it is more work for me to prepare and have all of these things ready for work, I have been enjoying preparing my own meals. It gives me a sense of accomplishment when I do not create so much waste.


This way of living does not only give me this satisfaction, but it also helps me learn more about cooking, patience, respect, and about myself. I have been bringing my lunch to work for close to three years now and it has been a smooth journey so far. I did struggle a bit at first because I was still a student at that time - so I would forget to bring homemade lunch to school/work and buy from food vendors on campus (they are not the best food nor the cheapest nor the cleanest….). It is now all under control and I have not eaten lunch out in a very long time thus far.


Hope some of you decide to make at least ONE sustainable swap this year (psst! the stainless steel travel mug is a good start!)


The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

No comments:

Post a Comment